Thursday, November 22, 2018

Why you want to go through the messy job of eating pomegranates! What to do the prevent the flue from not breaking through!

The pomegranates are in season! 


I love this beautiful, sober looking fruits, but from a distance! Why from a distance? Because they are a nuisance to pare them. It takes a bit of knowledge and know how to cut them: the skin is tough but thin and you don't want to cut the berries because you don't want a mess, a colorful mess but still a mess.

pomegranates
Pomegranates from our friends garden
 


How to proceed?


First of all, get dressed! Yes, get dressed: tie on your apron, the biggest one you have and be sure there is nothing uncovered because the juice will find this uncovered spot and stain it! and you know: fruit stains are difficult to get rid of  and pomegranates stain the more if that is possible. You got the message: paring a pomegranate is a messy job.

Cut off a thin slice of the top of the fruit, find a yellowish meridian and only cut the skin very carefully along this meridian, don't touch the berries. As you have split the pomegranates in 2 or in pieces, your second challenge is visible: how to get out all this berries without cutting them up; the paper thin yellow membrane should not mix up with the berries because it has a bitter taste.


Cut pomegranates
Cut pomegranates


Now you don't need a knife any more, the moment has come to take out your kitchen gloves or latex gants, that is if you don't want stained nail beds and finger tops and: you can start handpicking the berries. Use the top of your fingers and your thumb but don't put pressure on them as to not crush the berries; try to get the berries out of their bed. You want them to stay whole without spilling the precious juice. Once you have finished the pomegranate or you have a handful of berries, put them in a nice bowl, take a dessert spoon and enjoy.


Cut pomegranates
Cut pomegranates



My husbands cousin, who dotes on pomegranates and cleans them himself, gave us a plastic recipient with a lid that looks like a giant honeycomb. You divide or rip your granate in pieces, put the pieces inside down on the hexagons, take a table spoon and tap the pomegranates with the convex side of the spoon. It works but it still stays a hell of a job. Too bad I striked too hard and the honeycomb cracked.

Why am I telling you all this: because the benefits are greater than the nuisance! You can find it easily on the internet, but here are some of them: pomegranates


  1. provide you with vit A, C and some B
  2. give you: calcium, potassium and iron
  3. have anti-inflammatory effects
  4. reduce your risk of heart diseases
  5. lower your blood pressure
  6. are good for your joints
  7. are a natural anticoagulant
  8. prevent your arthritis
  9. have lots of anti-oxidants
  10. enzymes' help your digestion
  11. are a protection against dental plaque
  12. prevent cancer spread

If you really want  the advantage of these benefits, don't buy ready made juice! You don't know how the juice has been made and what additives they have added. Buy the fruit, look for unblemished fruits and choose the most colorful ones: the more color the healthier. and make the juice or eat the berries The fruits in the picture are a bit blemished but they are a gift from friends who grow them in their garden. I know the source!

For more details, read it here and here

Symbol of prosperity and fertility.


I have some Greek friends and they gave me pictures, cards, paintings and glass pomegranates as a gift, especially around New Year. As is easily to comprehend, the berries, who are actually seeds, are very abundant. I pomegranate can possibly give you hundreds of trees! There are between 400 and 650 seeds in one pomegranate. It is obvious why the pomegranate is a symbol of prosperity and fertility.

What to do to prevent the flue.


My post is short this time because I am having some flue symptoms: I am shivering, the shivers running along my spine and I am unable to feel warm. My whole body hurts and aches and moving is difficult and I am not charging energy. I feel very tired. I can not prevent it anymore but I can obstruct it from breaking through.

What to do so the flue won't break through!


There are some "if"s that I do and YOU can do to prevent the flue from breaking through:
  • if you take a lot of rest, lie down frequently and do only the most necessary household chores, you might not get the flue
  • if on top of this you pull on your warmest WOOL sweater, you might not get the flue
  • if I dig up my mink knee blanket, left to me by my grandmother and sleep on top if it, I might not get the flue 
This is all there is to it. Do this for 2 or 3 days and you'll feel a lot better, maybe totally cured.

About my mink blanket, I get it that not everyone has a mink blanket; a good alternative is a sheep skin; before I had my mink blanket I used a sheepskin. Since neither my blanket or a sheepskin are big enough to sleep comfortably under it, I sleep on top of it!  Spread your sheepskin out on your mattress and pull your bottom sheet on top of it. You'll benefit from the animal warmth and you'll keep whatever you are sleeping on, clean.

If you don't have a sheep skin, sleep on a sweater, anything that gives animal warmth! A polar blanket /fleece or something polyester won't do! If you are not feeling well, you want  natural warmth to restore your health.

This is it for this week. I hope you all are in good health.

See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The event of the year (in my town), Pro's of having a dog, How I excorcise inspiration; My revamped quote!

The event of the year Last Friday it was my daughter's birthday and it was the first day of Suikerrock, a 3 day rock festival in our...

The event of the year (in my town), Pro's of having a dog, How I excorcise inspiration; My revamped