Thursday, August 23, 2018

Babyshower! Why I like boring household chores. Organize your purse and a no sew leather envelop tuto.

Babyshower



In my first post of July 2018, about my 65th birthday celebration, I told you about my highly pregnant niece. She delivered begin July and we feted her baby boy last Sunday. It was a gorgeous gathering: they hired an old but modernized pastor house for the day, midst a big garden, with giant trees in the back of the garden for the bigger kids to play, the weather was perfect, the sweets were tasty and coffee and drinks in abundance.  The baby slept throughout the whole event, just woke up to be fed and was then hold by all the mothers who wanted a tiny baby in their arms once again. And we became acquainted with her husband's family and they have a great grandmother!

Around the church, as was the custom, were the graves of the villagers. We had to get past the graves to get to the house. As my husband said: life and dead are one next to the other. Isn't it that when an older person dies, a couple months later, there is a new born.  We lost my mother in May and the 5th of October my grand daughter was born!


The family at the baby shower
The family at the baby shower


Why I like boring household chores


To me, doing the wash up, ironing, cleaning and the like are boring chores. They don't need a lot of attention and worst of all, you know that maybe one hour later, all your work won't be visible any more but you still have to do it. I don't mind cooking because you can be creative, use your fantasy! There is only 1 way you can iron a shirt and that's it.

You may say: I listen to music and it's not boring any more. I used to do that too until I discovered: you can THINK while you do this jobs! Before I retired I was a teacher and most of my lessons I prepared in my head while doing household chores. Whenever I have a problem to solve, I use this time to find a solution, any kind of a solution from what's for dinner the next days to what kind of closure could I use for this necklace... I don't like all this chores, but they have a double utility: the chore AND the free thinking  and pondering time.


Organize your purse


Summer almost over means schools are open again. Everywhere you see satchel ads and pencil cases. It gives me an organize fever. If you like big handbags, an organizer is a must. I've made some handy organizing items out of leather for myself. This way I find my stuff easily, a small leather card case that fits about 10 cards; 10 is enough, after all, you don't dole out your business cards and I carry earphones in my bag.



LoveLea's leather business card cases
LoveLea's leather business card cases
LoveLea's leather card case.
Lovelea's leather card case.












When I do my errands by bike, I use a pouch bag and in my pouch bag I use a leather envelop to protect small papers whenever I need to carry them; this leather envelop protects any papers or other stuff that I take with me. The envelop is a no sew and easy to make.


LoveLea's black leather envelop
LoveLea's black leather envelop!



How to make a no sew leather envelop case

Make your pattern

Take a paper envelop the size you want and carefully open up the envelop: here is your pattern. Make sure you choose an envelop that is not too big for your leather scrap.

Tracing and cutting the pattern


Check your leather scrap for beauty flaws.  Place the opened up paper envelop on the wrong side of your leather scrap; if the wrong side has too much fibers, use the right side. Trace very carefully around the envelop with an erasable pen. Check out before use of the pen if it erases without leaving a trace. I use spittle to erase the ink.

Equally carefully cut out your envelop;  I used fiskar scissors. Now comes the most tricky part: close your envelop by bending 3 sides to the middle, the corners are overlapping each other, and crush the sides lightly. I did this with a non-metal hammer and protected the leather with a cloth. It is tricky because 3 corners have to meet precisely in the middle. Check with your paper envelop which corners have to meet.

To close the envelop


According to the way you want to close your envelop, punch a whole through the 3 layers of the gathered corners to use your metal button stud. It comes in 2 parts: the part with the screw comes underneath, inside the envelop, and the round ball-like part comes on top; your leather sits in between the 2 parts of the stud button. On the 4th corner of your envelop, make a slit to get your button through. Carefully consider where to make the slit. According to the size of the button, decide about the length of your slit, 1 or 2 mm more than the circumference of the button.

Or instead of  making a slit in the corner, make 2 horizontal wholes a bit higher up (have a look at the picture), make a loop out of sturdy elastic, the color you want and paste a piece of leather to the inside to hold your elastic in place.

If you choose very supple leather, your envelop might stay close without any button by stuffing the flap into the envelop.

What's the epitome of abundance?


Right: a bunch of grapes!  and I have this epitome right in my city garden, something to be grateful for.


grapes from my city  garden
Grapes in my city garden



That's it for this week; I hope you enjoyed the tuto; if you have questions, ask them by mail.

See you next week! the tomatoes might be ripe, ready to eat by then.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The event of the year (in my town), Pro's of having a dog, How I excorcise inspiration; My revamped quote!

The event of the year Last Friday it was my daughter's birthday and it was the first day of Suikerrock, a 3 day rock festival in our...

The event of the year (in my town), Pro's of having a dog, How I excorcise inspiration; My revamped