Thursday, August 30, 2018

Fun life lessons for children. First benefit of being 65. Faux fur and leather. New Quote: food for your soul!

Life lessons or Stuff for sale


Last Friday my husband and I went to my daughter's place for the weekend. It was good to see them and to learn about the grand children new schools. They have been to school for a week by now.

My grand daughter of almost 9 loves horses; she has been riding for a couple of months and now she wants a horse. She is saving money to get her own horse. Counting her savings she realized her horse was still a long way; to speed up things, she contrived to sell her old stuff on the street. Her mom recently sorted out her clothes and shoes, plenty of stuff to sell.

She dragged a small table outside, displayed 3 pair of used shoes, some T's, a paper saying for sale and that was it. I suggested a chair would be comfortable, so 2 small chairs were brought down and outside. She wanted me in it because she is not yet very good in subtracting big numbers, I was a good asset.


Children having a garage sale
My grand children selling stuff

Her older brother joined us, yelling: stuff for sale. In the distance we saw a bicycler approaching  and yes! he didn't turn left but continued his road. My grand son had stopped yelling, my grand daughter went white with embarassment, almost froze and I hissed: think of your  horse; that helped. The cyclist was going to ignore us when my grandson yelled again: stuff for sale. He stopped, turned back, had a look and said smiling: those shoes are too small for me and went on. I suggested: maybe you should enlarge your shop's choice! That was the sign to sell different stuff. My daughter had a couple of things she wanted to get rid off and this was the moment!

20 Minutes with nobody passing by, my granddaughter sighed: this is difficult! Yes, it is difficult: we all want big things to happen with the least of effort. This selling "game" confronts them with an unknown aspect of life and this is  excellent:

  • it gets them from behind their screens
  • it teaches that if you want something, you have to do something to get it
  • it shows that what looks easy, can be quite hard
  • it takes them out of their comfort zone
  • into a real life situation

Sadly they didn't sell anything. I hope they'll try again. Next opportunity, I'll teach them the value of making an intention!

My first benefit of being 65!



 On Saturday night we, the two of us: my daughter and me, went to the movies (Book Club, hilarious); queuing for tickets I saw that they had reductions for seniors! This is the first time my age is saving me money! I was surprised how good this felt, indescribable! It is also the first time I thought about it; well, I didn't think about it but I was reminded of it! I should pay more attention. It IS a neat idea: the fact of BEING 65 will bring me all kinds of benefits, suffice it to think about it.

Like for Lyne Slator, her age works in her favor. Of course she had a rich life before she was an accidental icon and without that she wouldn't be the icon she is now. It is very stimulating to discover that life can take a turn like this when you are 65. I never thought that being retired would be the end of my life, to me it was a kind of slowly rolling to my end. This new icons open up a whole new world, give me a new perspective, excite me to a higher level.

Faux fur and leather


3 or 4 years ago, I bought a scrap of jersey faux fur. I had destined it to be a bag or tote in my head. Countless times I had the scrap in my hands, looking at the piece for inspiration, but nothing happened, no spark, no light bulb went on! Last Tuesday I pampered myself with some magazines. And what's in fashion for the coming season: leopard prints!!! Wow, just what I needed to get started.

A couple hours ago, I went upstairs to my studio, found the scrap. I don't want to use the whole scrap for 1 tote and will combine it with leather. I found 2 pieces of nice and sturdy leather that stays up; I don't like slouchy bags; they look nice enough but not a bit practical when searching for something in your bag. I have to wait for daylight to be certain about the color.

I opened my design notebook and brainstormed my bag: how will I stitch leather and jersey together??? what size? the length of the handles? the inside of the bag... and so on. My bag is realizing at least in my head and on paper. The most difficult part of a project is the start.


LoveLea's faux fur and leather waiting to be tooled
LoveLea's faux fur and leather waiting to be "tooled"


I choose the black leather; it is a very nice leather and goes nicely with the faux fur; you have to be careful with leopard prints; they easily take a vulgar look!


A new Quote!


So you wont leave your hands empty, I wrote a new quote; hover over the picture to pin the quote to your pinterest account. It is a Self-Help quote and it germinated out of my own experience! Here it comes:

Quote by hilde denys from hildemariapierredenys.blogspot.com
LoveLea's quote


In the next post, I ll keep you informed about my bag's progress, among other things.

See you next week!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

The event of the year (in my town), Pro's of having a dog, How I excorcise inspiration; My revamped quote!

The event of the year Last Friday it was my daughter's birthday and it was the first day of Suikerrock, a 3 day rock festival in our...

The event of the year (in my town), Pro's of having a dog, How I excorcise inspiration; My revamped