Thursday, April 26, 2018

About hairy fish, a special tree, bucket bags and leather aprons!

Annual family reunion


We went to the family gathering last weekend at my daughters place: it felt so good to hug every one (the young boys evidently don't want a hug, a kiss is tolerated), to see every one and talk to every one. The whole family loves good food and nice drinks and we had plenty of that.

My sister in law, Gudrun, (from Conceptsmalle ) asked me to bring some of my leather jewelry along. I also chose some pieces I had designed for men and she like them very much for herself. Too bad they were too big, since they are a men's size. She especially liked an all cow hide bracelet with an odd shape, but too wide. This is an eye opener: I'll make some more (in my eyes manlike) of this kind but in smaller sizes for women.


LoveLea's cowhide bracelet
Not a hairy fish but a cowhide bracelet.


LoveLea's men bracelet in wrinkled leather.
LoveLea's (men) bracelet in wrinkled leather.


LoveLea's men bracelet in wrinkled leather.
LoveLea's men bracelet in wrinkled leather.


The family also loves to walk so we had a walk in the nearby woods and it was a very special walk! My sister Katrien lives in the States and lost her husband recently. At the family gathering, we had a little commemoration. Katrien had brought some ashes with her to scatter. My daughter took us to a tree her kids like to climb in and at the base of this tree, Katrien scattered the ashes. 


The chosen tree with the children
The chosen tree with the children (Photo courtesy of Conceptsmalle).

 Here is a picture of the family, my sister with her family, a nephew and niece are absent.


Family reunion April, 21st, 2018.
Family reunion April, 21st, 2018.

Bucket bags.


One of my favorite bags is the bucket bag! I am thinking about designing and creating my own bucket bag! I wrote "thinking" because I am afraid of starting the project and I have several reasons: my bag should be different from all the others, how will I realize the bag once I have my design, in what kind of leather shall I make my bag, hence  what material to use for the prototype. A slouchy bag looks relax and easy going but a bag should be easy to use in the first place.

 To me,  an easy to use bag is a bag that can stand up alone, that doesn't collapse and makes it difficult to find the stuff you need, hence I should use a sturdy leather. And I don't want to waste a whole skin, it has to be right from the start! Once this whole moving business is finished, I'll gather my courage and will start this project. Now I have spilled out the word, there is no going back and eventually I will have to come forth with a result.

Leather aprons, not only for blacksmiths!


I can't wait to start a total new type of project: an apron. I am a fan and partisan of aprons; when I cook I use an apron, when I paint, I use a vintage linen man shirt as apron, also to wash the dishes;  and I even have a fancy apron with lace to use when I have visitors. When creating I need an apron too to protect my clothing from dust, glue, sometimes paint and it gives me a professional look or so I think. I have a concept in my head, I only have to figure out the ideal measurements so my knees are covered, decide if I want a bib or not, make a paper pattern, position it on my chosen skin (I secretly want a pink leather apron, that would be very cool I think), cut the straps and put the thing together. I have some skins but maybe they are too rigid to make an apron and straps out of it.


Well, my apron won't be ready by next week: we have 15 m³ to unpack and more difficult: find a place for every item. If we finish off 1 m³ a day, the job should be finished in 2 weeks! Very reasonable. I'll tel you about the progress.

Hope to see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The event of the year (in my town), Pro's of having a dog, How I excorcise inspiration; My revamped quote!

The event of the year Last Friday it was my daughter's birthday and it was the first day of Suikerrock, a 3 day rock festival in our...

The event of the year (in my town), Pro's of having a dog, How I excorcise inspiration; My revamped