Thursday, May 24, 2018

About leather bracelets for the beach, a leather apron and Hurry, it's elder flower time!

Leather bracelets for the beach


I have some nice bracelets, of the first ones I made, superb for the beach: all leather and glass vintage beads, no metal that can corrugate or get ugly by sea water. At that time, I didn't have any ready  made clasp or hasp, so I made them myself: a leather button and a loop and an artful attaching of the button to the bracelet.


LoveLea's beach bracelets with vintage glass beads.
LoveLea's beach bracelets with vintage glass beads.

The vintage beads I found at the nearby weekly flea market. Somebody had stringed this vintage beads to an elastic and there were 3 of them. I bought one "bracelet" and then after pondering and debating went back and bought the other ones.

Back home, I cut a small, narrow strip of leather, chose matching beads and stringed them onto to the leather, made and attached the button and loop and here was a nice bracelet. I also made a longer one that you can wear as a choker and as a wrap bracelet.

LoveLea's leather wrap bracelet or choker with vintage glass beads.
LoveLea's leather wrap bracelet/choker with vintage glass beads.

The last (or first) Turquoise bead at the right is a vintage evil eye bead, a must in the summer. It will protect you when you have an attractive tan.


LoveLea's wrap bracelet/choker with vintage evil eye bead
Detail of wrap bracelet/choker with vintage evil eye bead


Too bad I only had enough beads for 1 more bracelet. Wow, I wanted more of these beads! when I went back some time later: the lady had moved out of town! No more nice vintage beads.


My leather apron made.


I've been talking about this leather apron ( in this posthere ) and not showing you something; you might think: she is pulling our leg, but this week I have pictures. The hide thus was rather small and I decided to show the organic shape of the hide so I could have my desired length. What's the use of an apron that does not sufficiently cover you.




But this organic shape didn't appeal to me very much and I decided to cut off the point below. I like it a lot better now. While wearing and using this prototype I'll learn the flaws & faults if there are any before I sell it in my shop.



It does look a lot better with the tip cut off. Below is the picture of the binding straps: they are adjustable; in winter I have more layers of clothing and I still want my apron to fit. The straps are hand sewn with linen thread.



Hurry, elder flower time is almost over.


Last Sunday my husband and me went for a walk in the nearby park. It is a nice park with 2 ponds, lots of ducks, white goose, Egyptian geese, moorhens...and elder trees! I was so excited to see the trees and the white perfumed blossoms. It has been years since I saw an elder tree.

Why do I love them so much? Because the blossoms are such fragile little things with a particular healthy smell AND I make a syrup from the blossoms that is a real panacea against colds, coughs and even can stop an upcoming flue. It really is magic, wonder, a real elixir that everybody should make and have in the pantry. No bag available, so I gathered them in my cardigan.


Elder blossoms
Elder blossoms.



Besides it's most important use as a remedy against cold and coughing, you can use it to perfume a cake, your tea and you can make a sparkling wine out of it. The methods are too elaborate to tell you here, but you can email me to get the recipe. May is the month they flower and if the weather has been cold, the season might extend into June! So, if you want to make this syrup or sparkling wine, just email me!


Elder blossoms in the sun
Elder blossoms in the sun.


For now, this is it. Do you have a special herb, flower, blossom that helps you recover from a cold or coughing? Tell me, I would like to hear from you. You can leave a comment in the box below or email me.

See you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The event of the year (in my town), Pro's of having a dog, How I excorcise inspiration; My revamped quote!

The event of the year Last Friday it was my daughter's birthday and it was the first day of Suikerrock, a 3 day rock festival in our...

The event of the year (in my town), Pro's of having a dog, How I excorcise inspiration; My revamped